Finnish social security number for all international students

From the beginning of the upcoming Autumn every international exchange or degree student must get Finnish social security number if the residence in Finland lasts more than 3 moths. Finnish Local Register Office (Maistraatti) or Police Station are capable to admit the social security number or students outside of the EU can apply for it from The Finnish Immigration Service while applying for residence permit. The change is due to universities’ responsibility to save also international students’ information to student records and to VIRTA-higher education achievement register. From Finnish Local Register Office (Maistraatti) it is advisable to apply for the social security number if the residence in Finland lasts at least 6 months and proof of residence in Finland is necessary for the student. Otherwise the social security number applied from Police Station is adequate.

Further information
Taija Minkkinen
Member of the Board, international tutoring

Previous article

Gym's development proceeds

Browse all news