The board of the student union consists of a chairperson, a vice chairperson and 4 to 11 members, chosen annually by the council of representatives. The board shares the responsibility for the student union’s operations alongside the paid employees.
The functions of the board
The members of the board are students at the JAMK University of Applied Sciences, who act in these positions of trust on a voluntary basis.
- meets weekly, making decisions relating to, for example, general and project grants.
- participates in different working groups of the JAMK University of Applied Sciences.
- does advocacy work aimed at the school, the city and the state.
- negotiates with partners and acts in cooperation with JAMK University of Applied Sciences’ study field student associations, the Student Union of the University of Jyväskylä (JYY), other student unions of different universities of applied sciences, and other interest groups.
- oversees what is happening in Finnish higher education, informs, reports, takes a stand on current issues.
- organizes various student services and events.
The chairperson of the board works at the student union office daily, guiding the actions of other members of the board and supporting the work of the paid employees. The functions of the board are divided into separate sectors, which are looked after by responsibles, nominated from among the board members.