JAMKO’s highest decision-making authority, the Representatives Council, is elected annually by voting at the beginning of November. As a member of JAMKO, you can vote and decide who will handle your affairs as a student representative at Jamk UAS. The Representative Council decides e.g. about membership fee, the budget, approves the action plan and JAMKO’s big guidelines, on which we, as a student union, take a stand and how we operate. Every JAMKO member can stand as a candidate and vote.
Central election committee
The elections are organized by the central election committee, which is named by the sitting representatives council. The committee is elected annually. In the Central election committee is lead by Meri Korri, pj.keskusvaalilautakunta(a)jamko.fi
Results of the election
The student union of Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences JAMKO has elected a new Representative Council for the term 2024. 3005 members were entitled to vote and a total of 458 JAMKO members voted in the election. The turnout was 15.24%, an increase of 0.03 percentage points compared to the last elections.
What made the 2023 elections special was the record number of candidates and the high number of international students standing for election. There were 52 candidates in total, 25 more than in the last election. There were seven electoral alliances, two of which had formed an electoral ring and five independent candidates.
Listed below are the number of seats (actual and vice) for the next term of office and the percentage of votes cast.
- MisFits 7 + 10, 31%
- JASTO, 6 + 2, 25%
- Insinööriopiskelijat 5 + 4, 21%
- JAMKOn kansanrintama (electoral ring) 2 + 2, 8%
- Restonomiopiskelijat 1 + 2, 7%
- Independent candidates 0 + 1, 7%
The International Students Alliance received 1% of the votes, but no seats in the Council.
JASTO’s Silja Saarenmaa was the vote puller of the election with an absolute majority of 47 votes. MisFits gathered the most votes of the alliances, 142 votes.
The new Council will be convened on 27 November, when the composition of the Council may still change if members are elected to the JAMKO Board. The Council will start its term of office on 1.1.2024.
Schedule of the election
Tue 29 Aug The process of setting up electoral alliances begins. You do not need to be a member of JAMKO or a student of JAMKO to set up an electoral alliance. However, the members of the electoral alliance must be members of JAMKO and students of Jamk.
Thu 31 August – 28 September at 12 P.M Nomination period. Candidates must have a valid student union membership at the time of the election. Membership for the academic year 2022-2023 expires on 30 September. A student must renew their membership by Oct 1st, in order to stand as a candidate.
In October, there will be election training sessions and candidates will fill in the voting aid app. Voting aid app here
Thu 24 October. The right to vote will be checked. You must pay your Student Union membership fee by this date if you wish to vote.
Voting starts on 31 October. JAMKO members, who have joined JAMKO by 2 November, will receive a voting link in the email they provided when they joined The Student Union. Check the list of candidates
Electoral Alliances present themselves: election villages Oct 31st. 10:30 – 12:30 Dynamo Lobby. Nov 6th from 12:00 to 14:00. Main Campus, Lounge
Candidates present themselves: Election panels Oct 31st 1.30 p.m. at Dynamo, room 311. Nov 6th Main Campus, Lounge starting 2.30 p.m. Check the live show from Instagram.
Wed 8 November Election day. Voting closes at 15.00. The results will be announced at the election ceremony at 20.00.
Confirmed Electoral Alliances
- JAMKOn Punavihreät JAMKOPUVI | Lassi Hakonen | lassi.e.hakonen(a)gmail.com (Electoral ring JAMKOn kansanrintama)
- Jyväskylän Keskustaopiskelijat JOK | Irja-Ulriikka Valta | irjaulriikka.valta(a)gmail.com (Electoral ring JAMKOn kansanrintama)
- Jyväskylän Ammattikorkeakoulun sosiaali- ja terveysalan opiskelijat Jasto | Sanni Karjalainen | sanni.karjalainen(a)jasto.net
- MisFits MF | Eetu Ruotsalainen | eeturuo(a)gmail.com
- Insinööriopiskelijat IO | Eliel Taskinen | elieltaskinen(a)gmail.com
- Opiskelevat kokoomuslaiset kok | Arttu Kokko | arttu00kokko(a)gmail.com
- International Student Alliance ISA | Andrea Guermas | m0598(a)student.jamk.fi
- Restonomiopiskelijat RES | Sanna Lemmetyinen | sanna.lemmetyinen(a)live.fi
What is the representatives council?
THE REPRESENTATIVES COUNCIL
- is the highest authority of Student Union JAMKO.
- is comprised and lead by JAMK UAS students.
- consists of 21 members and 21 vice members.
- operates for one calendar year at a time.
- uses Finnish language, but international students are welcome to participate.
- decides the student union’s membership fees, the student union’s plan of action and budget.
- gives its opinions on other important matters that affect all students in JAMK UAS.
What is the work like?
MEMBER OF THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES
- is in an integral role of the active student community.
- affects education, student affairs in JAMKO, JAMK and Jyväskylä.
- is the voice of students in different JAMK’s working groups.
- networks with important future connections.
- gains experience in organisational work, influencing and decision making.
- gains expert knowledge pertaining to their own interests at JAMKO Academy.
WORKING IN THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE
- will not delay your studies or take a large amount of your time. The representatives meet a few times during the term. However, the representative can make motions and participate otherwise according to their own interest like to working groups.
- things will not be hard to understand as all matters are prepped beforehand and presented to the members before the meeting.
- you are the expert in being a student and your opinion has an impact.
Electoral alliances, rings and the role of a spokesperson
Electoral alliance is a group formed by one or more eligible candidates and the votes cast on the electoral alliance will be counted in favour of the candidates. Often the members of the alliance study in the same degree programme or share similar views related to student politics.
The founder of the alliance acts as its spokesperson, but they does not have to be a candidate in the election themself or be a member of JAMKO. The spokes person provides the association’s founding document, acts as a liaison between the Central Election Committee and the candidates, provides information to the candidates and acts as a support during the election. The Central Election Committee supports the election liaison officers in their duties.
In order to form an alliance, the spokesperson fills the declaring document and files it, prefetably at the beginning of the candidacy filing period or by the end of candidate filing period Sept 21st 3 p.m. at the latest. The maximum amount of the candidates in one ring should be the amount of free seats in the representatives (42).
Electoral ring is two or more electoral alliances or one or more alliances and a one or more candidates who are outside of all electoral alliances. In order to form an electoral ring, a declaring document must be done and submitted to JAMKO before the end of candidacy filing period. The maximum amount of the candidates in one ring should be the amount of free seats in the representatives (42).
All the requisite forms are found at the end of this page at the start the candidacy filing period.
Electoral alliances can be formally formed 2 days before the start of the candidacy filing period, but it is a good idea to start compiling the list well in advance. It is advisable to announce the list as soon as the period begins, because then the information in the list can be made public.
The coalitions and the spokesperson’s information are added to this site as the as the declaring documents are filed.
More information on forming alliances and electoral rings: keskuvaalilautakunta(a)jamko.fi
Candidacy filing has ended!
How to stand as a candidate
Candidacy filing period starts with the electoral announcement.
The candidacy filing period and forming the electoral lists usually begins at the turn of August-September, and the actual elections take place in early November.
JAMK students who have joined JAMKO for the academic year 2022 – 2023 are eligible to stand as candidates. You stand as a candidate by filling in and sending the electronic conditional application form.
The necessary forms for standing as a candidate and forming a union or ring will be available at the end of the election site during the candidacy filing period.
Candidates may stand as independent candidates or form an electoral alliance and / or electoral ring together with other candidates or unions.