Student well-being

The student union’s social policy trusteeship monitors and improves issues related to the comprehensive well-being of students, such as health, housing, and study-social benefits. Additionally, social policy trusteeship supervises the realization of principles of accessibility, equality, parity and ethics at JAMK from a student perspective.

Further information:

Social Policy Responsible of the Board, sopo(a)


Student housing in Jyväskylä has changed for the better, and student housing does not automatically mean living with several roommates in small quarters or long distances. There are many options available and it is worth considering that when looking for an apartment

  • where and with whom do you want to live?
  • what kind of landlord do you want to commit to?
  • how much do you want to pay for housing?
  • what kind of services do you want to be close the apartment?
  • do you want to ride public or bike?

We have put together an information pack to support your home search and tenant.

Read more

Students' financial support in Finland

Studies at institutes of higher education can be financed with student financial aid from the state of Finland, provided that one is generally eligible. The prerequisites for granting financial aid are admission at a tertiary education institution, full-time study, and need for financial aid. The aid consists of a study grant and a government guarantee for student loan.

Students living in rented accommodation in Finland are covered by the general housing allowance. Also changes in the amount of government guarantees for student loans, the amount of study grant and the amount of maximum eligibility period will undergo changes as well.

Study grant is available for full-time studies lasting at least eight weeks at institution of higher education. Non-citizens of Finland can get financial aid for studies in Finland if they live in Finland on a permanent basis for a purpose other than studying, like employment, family ties or return migration. This requires that they are registered as a permanent resident in the Finnish population register system. The purpose of residence in Finland is determined by reference to such matters as the residence permit, registration or acceptance to an educational institution. In order to receive study grant, students must make satisfactory progress in their studies. The amount of your study grant is affected by when you began your first course of higher education study. Your possible additional income affects the number of months per year for which you can get financial aid. You must make sure that you do not exceed a set limit for annual income. More specific information of student financial aid.

The student loan is a government-guaranteed loan that you must pay back. You can get a government guarantee for a student loan if you are being paid a study grant by Kela or an adult education allowance by the Education Fund. If Kela gives you a loan guarantee you can apply for a loan at a bank of your choice. The interest payable on the loan and the repayment schedule are agreed between you and the bank.

Foreigners may be eligible for housing allowance if they are covered by the Finnish social security system. The amount is affected by the gross income of the persons making up a household. Student status is not required to qualify for the housing allowance. While months of study and maximum time limits for receiving financial aid for students are not relevant for the housing allowance, study grant payments do count as income. The student loan does not count as income.

More information on Kela’s website

Health care

FSHS – Finnish Student Health Service

The Finnish Students’ Healthcare Service (FSHS) produces student healthcare services to all students in higher education. The student health care fee is paid to Kela. Students who are entitled to use the services of FSHS are students who have registered as attending (present) and who are completing

  • a bachelor’s or master’s level degree earned in a university of applied sciences
  • a bachelor’s or master’s level university degree.

Exchange students, students at the Open University of Applied Sciences, or postgraduate students are not entitled to the services of FSHS.

The services provided by FSHS include:

  • Basic healthcare services
  • Dental care
  • Health check-ups
  • Mental health services
  • Sexual health services
  • Laboratory services and scans
  • Vaccines
  • Remote services

A doctor at FSHS can also refer you to special medical care if needed. The personnel at FSHS always advises the student and helps them find the services they need.

Fee is paid to Kela

You can pay the healthcare fee via Kela’s e-service OmaKela. The amount of the healthcare fee for students in higher education is adjusted annually. The fee is paid for both the spring and the autumn term. Kela does not send a bill for the fee, but are expected to pay it unprompted. More detailed information on payment of the healthcare fee is available at How to pay the healthcare fee in higher education.

Read more:

If you are an international exchange student, read medical treatment in international situations (Kela website)

Accessibility and equality

The student union supports an equal an accessible study environment! Your studies can proceed as planned, even if you have a learning difficulty, illness or handicap, a different linguistic or a cultural background or other circumstance that might influence your studies. If you require support or special arrangements during your studies, first contact the the student counsellor of your own unit. Granted support can be, for example, increased time to take an exam, an alternative way to complete an assignment, online studies, extra studies in linguistic skills, translation services or different instruments to aid studies.

The quality of instruction is to remain equal regardless of gender, linguistic or cultural background and physical characteristics. Teachers are to encourage and acknowledge students equally. Students are to have equal opportunities to receive instruction and issues are to be addressed in an equal manner.

If you consider that you have been treated in an unequal manner, it is worth taking the issue up with the person in question. You can also contact the harassment contact person, or JAMKO trusteeship.

Legislation on unsuitability issues

Unsuitability legislation is set to improve safety in academic education and working life, and to find solutions for cases where unsuitability is suspected, e.g. during admittance or during studies.  The legislation protects the students rights in problem situations. At JAMK, some parts concern the students in social and health care field and vocational teacher education, while others – drug testing, violent behaviour, disciplinary procedures – apply to all students. Read more about unsuitability matters and safe study environment. 


Harassment and harassment contact person

Harassment means unwelcome physical or verbal actions based on e.g. age, sex, sexual orientation, nationality or cultural background, physical features like skin colour, language, opinion or disability. Harassment can be, for example, discrimination, unequal treatment, when it comes to evaluation, singling out, threatening, or any verbal or physical behaviour which the object considers abusive. Harassment and molestation can also be, for example, inappropriate propositions, indecent talk or jokes, email or social media messages or posts which are indiscreet, comments about appearance or any other sexual proposals and demands. None of these should be tolerated.

Finland has a law against discrimination and it obligates institutes of higher education to inhibit such actions: the Non-discrimination Act. JAMK UAS and Student Union JAMKO have also drawn up a program to improve equality in JAMK UAS.

Harassment contact person is a person appointed by the student union to support students in matters where harassment is suspected.  All further actions will be decided in co-operation with the student. The Harassment contact person acts as a mediator and offers guidance to solve the matter. The harassment contact person acts with strict confidentiality and always only with the permission of the person in question.

More on the subject on the website of The Non-Discrimination Ombudsman which is an independent and autonomous authority that advances equality.

Harassment contact person at JAMKO

JAMKO’s harassment contact person works for all Jamk’s students. She trains harassment contact persons for study field student organisations, supports them in their mission, and promotes visibility and permanence in Jamk. JAMKO’s harassment contact person is a permanent task.


Anna Tarvainen-Illi
Advisor, communication and trusteeship, harassment contact person

phone. +358 45 2078110
e-mail: hairinta(a)

Harassment contact persons in study field organisations in 2022

The harassment contact persons in study field organisations are students from a specific field, but they work also for different study fields’ students. The actives change annually, and all organisations don’t have a person appinointed to the job.

Contact information in Jamk’s intra

Nyyti ry

Nyyti ry improves and supports the mental well-being and life management of students. The communal and versatile functions of Nyyti are built according to the students’ needs and situation in life. No issue is too small or great to be handled. Nyyti ry offers information peer support and you can participate as a volunteer.

The story of Nyyti as a registered association started from a students’ mental health and communal living experiment in 1984. Since then, Nyyti has provided help for thousands of students.

Nyyti Ry’s website