Hello exchange student and welcome to Finland!
Description of the Survival Kit service
Survival kit is a bag with basic living necessities to help you as an exchange student to survive the first steps of the exchange period in Jyväskylä. The kit includes one of each following items in a large numbered IKEA-Bag:
blanket, blanket cover, pillow, pillowcase, sheet, bath towel, handtowel, saucepan, plate, mug, knife, fork, tablespoon and teaspoon.
Each Survival Kit is different because the contents consist of varying quality of second-hand items with different colours and design. All items are clean and unbroken. There is no possibility for selecting items for ex. by colour. The kit is rented as a whole, so it is not possible to rent only some items.
The kit renting is offered by the Student union JAMKO. You can rent a kit for your stay but no longer than until the end of the current academic year. Notice anyway that the last possible return date will be 20th of June 2019. The current cost of the rental is 75€ and payment is done through Paypal. (You can put up a Paypal account on www.paypal.com). The price is set so that the duration of the lease does not influence the cost. The rental includes a deposit (40€ for a JAMKO-member or 30€ for the others). The deposit will be refunded to the renter through Paypal when returning the kit.
How to get the kit
- Read the terms and conditions carefully (told below).
- You agree with the terms of the rental and you decide to rent a Survival Kit
- You pay the kit rent here on the online shop through Paypal. The reservation is binding once you have paid the rent.
- Let your tutor know that you have paid the rent by sending him/her the payment confirmation mail from the online shop. Tell the estimated Survival Kit return date and your arrival date as well. The tutor needs this information to get the Survival Kit for you from JAMKO.
- Payment status will be checked by JAMKO as well before handing the survival kit to the tutor
- The tutor will pick up the Kit in advance for you so that the Kit will be ready for you when you arrive in Jyväskylä.
Terms of Survival Kit rental agreement
Guidelines for receiving the Survival Kit and using the items
- The current cost of the rental is 75€ and payment is done through Paypal.
- The price is set so that the duration of the lease does not influence the cost.
- The rental includes a deposit (40€ for a JAMKO-member or 30€ for the others).
- The deposit will be refunded to the renter through Paypal when returning the kit.
- The kit is rented as a whole, so it is not possible to rent only some items from the Kit.
- Check the contents just when you receive the kit:
one of each items:a numbered IKEA-bag, blanket, blanket cover, pillow, pillowcase, sheet, bath towel, hand towel, saucepan, plate, mug, knife, fork, tablespoon and teaspoon.
- See that all items are clean and unbroken.
- If there is something wrong with the kit, possible complaints must be made within seven (7) days from receiving the kit to JAMKO membership service point in main campus, Rajakatu 35 F-wing room FP23. Bring the faulty item with you to JAMKO office so it can be replaced.
- Each Survival Kit is different because the contents consist of varying quality of second-hand items with different colours and design.
- There is no possibility for selecting items for ex. by colour.
- Handle the Survival kit items with care. Don´t let the food burn onto the saucepan. Bath and hand towels are not meant for kitchen usage.
Guidelines for the Survival Kit returning:
- Before the current semester will end, JAMKO will send a return date inquiry by email to you.
- You need to reply to it to inform JAMKO about your exact Survival Kit return date.
- Always let JAMKO know in advance before you come to return the kit.
- Check the list of Items to remember the contents that you need to return
- Wash the items before returning them to avoid laundry costs.
- Return just those items that you received from JAMKO.
- If an item has been broken, you can buy second-hand a similar one.
- Missing items will be deducted from the deposit.
- If any of the items is broken or if the base of the saucepan is burned, the value of the item listed below will be charged.
- List of items and values including the expenses of new ones purchase: A large IKEA-Bag (5€), blanket (19€), blanket cover (10€), pillow (15€), pillowcase (10€), sheet (10€), bath towel (10€), hand towel (10€), saucepan (15€), plate (5€), mug (5€), knife (4€), fork (4€), tablespoon (4€) and teaspoon (4€).
- If the kit is returned dirty, 15€ of laundry costs will be reduced from the returned deposit.
- If the survival kit is returned in usable and clean condition, 40€ will be returned for members of JAMKO and 30€ for non-members of JAMKO. JAMKO membership must be shown when returning the survival kit.
- Returned deposit will be paid within 5 working days only through Paypal and to the account from where the payment was originally made.
- Kit can be returned only to the JAMKO Office and only during the office opening hours.
- Check opening hours and possible changes to them https://www.jamko.fi/en/contact-visit/
- Notice as well that JAMKO office is closed during holidays and semester breaks.
- Possible special arrangements to returns must be approved beforehand by JAMKO
- Unreturned Survival kits will be reported to the student’s own university.
Notify: Kits can be dropped off only to JAMKO Office (Rajakatu 35, Main Campus, Room FP23) during the office opening hours.
JAMKO Office is closed (and services are not available) during vacations including weeks 9 and 42 and during the national holidays. Check the opening hours from www.jamko.fi/en.
The last possible return date will be 20th of June.
By paying the 75€ rent you accept the terms of Survival Kit rental agreement. JAMKO uses the personal data of the client only for purposes of service provided to the student. In a case of dispute Finnish law will be applied.